Monday, May 5, 2008

Mid Year Exams: Diary of an Invigilator.

Dear Diary,

Science is not easy to invigilate. From a pupils' perspective, 30 MCQs can pose a big temptation, both intentional and unintentional. I have been a student once you know.

My worry for any 2 hour paper is when people go horizontal. Worry in two ways:

1) Lack of exam stamina, too tired to carry on
2) Study too little to attempt all the questions

Both will result in sleeping during exam. Point 2 should come to pupils as a motivation to study. It is embarassing and agonizing to have plenty of time but no questions to do. Finishing the paper and have nothing to do is one thing... I'm referring to not having enough knowledge to even attempt the questions. May such disaster never ever befall on my students.

The sound of correction tape has died down a little... have my candidates learned their lesson? or is it merely change of brand to the "silent type" correction tape (worse, liquid paper...) maybe by third exam day, the tapes have finished. No, I'm not here to remind my pupils to replenish their stock and irritate me again during Literature paper. Seriously, it is my earnest wish that my candidates be very sure before putting things down in writing. This is a very valuable personal discipline, like neatness, cleanliness, courtesy.... frequent correction or change of views is a sign of weakness if taken too lightly. So while it does not affect any marks, making a habit out of this is not going to make one successful.

We shall see how it goes in tomorrow's paper.

Invigilator

No comments: